Loving Arizona and Missing Hawaii

Thursday, September 2, 2010

food for thought...

SO, all you physics majors out there.... i still SO wish I had minored in physics....

we know that darkness is just the absence of light....

we know that energy is found in various forms... kinetic, potential, thermal, gravitational...etc. and these energies can be converted or transferred into other forms of energy... such as electricity.

This is really mundane, I know... but what got me thinking on this was my bottle of water....

haha.

I had about 10 ounces of warm water in a bottle, and added about 24 ounces of cold water (to fill it up) As my sensitive teeth are not a fan of super cold water, I thought about how nice it would be to drink the "not very cold, but not warm" water.... I thought to myself, "should I shake it up to mix the temperatures well?" then I remembered about diffusion and thought about how quickly the like elements at different stages of energy would diffuse to meet an equilibrium.

And as I thought about this diffusion of thermal energy, I wondered...

and i pose my question,

If HEAT is an indication of the presence of energy, is COLD merely the absence of it?

1 comment:

Anna said...

What I remember from science class is there is no such thing as cold. Just less heat.